There are many wonderful books on the dhamma, and many good sources for them. Here are a few.
All listings are in alphabetical order (in English language) and do not imply any ranking or preference.
Recommended basic books
- Meditation: An Outline, by Ajahn Sucitto
- A manual offering meditation guidance. Presenting practices that enhance awareness and calm, it is suitable for anyone interested in developing their inner life.
- Free download from Abhayagiri .
- On Meditation: Instructions from talks by Ajahn Chah
- A collection of nine transcribed Dhamma talks given by Ajahn Chah to the lay community as well as to the monastic community in Thailand.
- Web: WatPahNanachat.org, ForestSangha.org
- Free download as PDF or ebook from
or from this website as epub, mobi, or pdf .
- Also in physical form as a small paperback booklet.
We are sometimes able to provide this booklet at retreat.
- Walking Meditation, instructions by Diana St Ruth
- “Walking is a wonderful way of meditating. It brings one to the point of realising that meditation does not depend upon the position of the body. …”
- Web: BuddhismNow.com – Short article, and eight-page PDF to download.
- Download PDF directly: from BuddhismNow.com
- What is Buddhism?, by Ajahn Chandako
- The basics of Buddhism in 31 pages. A clear and concise overview of Buddhism and its core teachings; addresses many questions that people unfamiliar with or new to its teachings often raise.
- Free download from Abhayagiri .
- Without and Within: Questions and Answers on the Teachings of Theravāda Buddhism, by Ven. Ajahn Jayasaro.
- A beautiful (in visual design) and beautiful (in words) complete FAQ for Buddhism.
- Free download from Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives (BIA).
- Also from Abhayagiri
Selected Buddhism books
- The Ajahn Sumedho Anthology
- Five volumes of clear and inspiring writings, created to honour the life and work of Ajahn Sumedho on his 80th Birthday
- All except Vol. 2 can be downloaded as .mobi, .pub, and .pdf, and all are also available in hardcover. Free from ForestSangha.org.
- Many other books by Ajahn Sumedho are available here as well.
- Books by Ajahn Jayasaro
- More books by the author of Within and Without
- Can be downloaded as .mobi, .pub, and .pdf, and all are also available in hardcover. Free from ForestSangha.org.
Collections of books, audio, video, and more
- Abhayagiri (Monastery in northern California, US)
- Talks, reflections, and downloadable books of the Thai Forest Tradition of Ajahn Chah.
- Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives (BIA)
- Audio, transcriptions, and eBooks by and about Buddhadasa Bikkhu; by Santikaro; works by many other Forest Tradition teachers; works by His Holiness Dalai Lama; Ajahn Jayasaro’s wonderful Without and Within.
- Buddhism Now e-books
- Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, Buddhist art, The Tibetan Chan (Zen) Manuscripts, and more.
- Buddhist Publishing Group – at Buddhism Now
- The Buddhism Publishing Group has produced numerous books and booklets, and distributed over 110,000 free pamphlets, as well as run Buddhist workshops and retreats, and an annual Buddhist Summer School in Britain.
- Forest Sangha, International Forest Tradition Monasteries (NE Thailand)
- Many books in many languages, and also calendars and chants, in the Theravada Buddhist Tradition of Ajahn Chah.
- Books by Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Sucitto, Ajahn Jayasaro, and more, can be downloaded as .mobi, .pub, and .pdf, and some are also available in hardcover.
- Wisdom Library – Buddhism Portal
- “… place of knowledge and wisdom, but not of silence. Here you can find a large and ever expanding collection of Books, Articles, Essay’s, Hymns and much more. I will do my best to suit everyone with the best tools needed for extensive research on subjects such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Ancient History, Philosophy, Christianity etc…”
- Access To Insight
- A multitude of scriptures, teachings, study guides, Tipitaka translations, and more.
- Buddhism discussion at StackExchange
- Many interesting questions and answers.
- Eckhart Tolle
- A fascinating teacher who does not use the word “buddhism” but whose findings and teachings mirror it.
- Eckhart Tolle videos, books, and articles about meditation
page revised: 8 August 2018