- Buddhadasa Bhikkhu (พุทธทาสภิกขุ, b.27 May 1906 – d.25 May 1993) was a famous and influential Thai ascetic-philosopher. Known as an innovative re-interpreter of Buddhist doctrine and Thai folk beliefs, Buddhadasa fostered a reformation in conventional religious perceptions in his home country, Thailand, as well as abroad. He founded [drg_link link=http://www.suanmokkh.org/ title=”go to information about Suan Mokkh at SuanMokkh.org”]Suan Mokkh[/drg_link] forest monastery and teaching center, and its International Dhamma Hermitage Center. It is his tradition that we follow at Khao Tham.
- More about Buddhadasa Bhikkhu
- at [drg_link link=http://www.suanmokkh.org/buddhadasa title=”go to information about Buddhadasa at SuanMokkh.org”]SuanMokkh.org[/drg_link] at [drg_link link=http://www.thaibuddhism.net/Buddhadasa.htm title=”go to information about Buddhadasa at thaibuddhism.net”]ThaiBuddhism.net[/drg_link] at [drg_link link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhadasa title=”go to information about Buddhadasa at wikpedia.org”]Wikipedia[/drg_link]
- [drg_link link=http://suanmokkh-idh.org/idh-wat.html title=”go to information about Indapanno Archives at suanmokkh-idh.org”]Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives[/drg_link]
- Also known as “Suan Mokkh Bangkok.” A beautiful building and complex which hosts facilities for meditation, lectures, discussion, exhibitions etc. Activities (as of 2017) do not include meditation retreats. Most activities are in Thai.
- Website: [drg_link link=http://www.bia.or.th/ title=”go to Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives website at bia.or.th”]BIA.or.th[/drg_link] ไทย
Works by Buddhadasa
- [drg_link link=http://www.bia.or.th/en/ title=”go to books, writings, and lectures by Buddhadasa at BIA.or.th”]Books, writings, and lectures by Buddhadasa[/drg_link] at BIA.or.th (Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives)
- Hundreds of PDFs, audio files, and more.
- There doesn’t seem to be a main contents page for all publications. You can go to the website and follow the links from the “By Buddhadasa” dropdown menu.
- [drg_link link=https://buddhismnow.com/?s=buddhadasa title=”go to selected teachings by Buddhadasa at BuddhismNow.com”]Buddhadasa[/drg_link] at BuddhismNow.com
- Selected teachings as articles and PDFs
- [drg_link link=http://www.liberationpark.org/about/books.htm title=”go to books by Buddhadasa at LiberationPark.org”]Books by Buddhadasa[/drg_link] at LiberationPark.org
- Physical books and e-books.
Other Thai Forest Tradition teachers
Ajahn Brahmavamso, or simply Ajahn Brahm, is a British-Australian Pāli tradition (Theravāda) Buddhist monk. He is known for, among other things, compilation of an English-language guide to the Buddhist monastic code (the vinaya), clear support of LGBTIQ people, and activities to support [drg_link link=/resources/women-in-buddhism/ title=”go to Women in Buddhism page”]women monastics[/drg_link] (bhikkhunis) in Pāli tradition Buddhism.
- About Ajahn Brahm at [drg_link link=http://www.ajahnbrahm.org/ title=”go to Ajahn Brahm website at AjahmBrahm.org”]AjahmBrahm.org[/drg_link] | at [drg_link link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Brahm title=”go to information about Ajahn Brahm at Wikpedia.org”]Wikipedia[/drg_link]
- Ajahn Brahmavamso’s Dhamma Talks recordings of talks by Ajahn Brahm, to listen and download.
- At [drg_link link=https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/5/ title=”go to talks at at DharmaSeed.org”]DharmaSeed.org[/drg_link]
- Questions to Ajahn Chah
- “The Dhamma of the Buddha is not found in books. If you want to really see for yourself what the Buddha was talking about, you don’t need to bother with books. Watch your own mind. Examine to see how feelings come and go, how thoughts come and go. don’t be attached to anything. Just be mindful of whatever there is to see. This is the way to the truths of the Buddha.”
- at [drg_link link=https://buddhismnow.com/category/ajahn-chah/ title=”go to teachings by Ajahn Chah at BuddhismNow.com”]BuddhismNow.com[/drg_link]
- [drg_link link=https://forestmonastery.org/texts/#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1520360211656_61364 title=”go to downloadable book at ForestMonastery.org”]Stillness Flowing – The Life and Teachings of Ajahn Chah[/drg_link] by Ajahn Jayasaro [english]
- [drg_link link=https://www.forestsangha.org/teachings/books/authors/ajahn-chah?language=English title=”go to downloadable books at ForestSangha.org”]Books of teachings by Ajahn Chah[/drg_link] [english]
- Ajahn Chah collection at BuddhismNow.com
- [drg_link link=https://buddhismnow.com/category/ajahn-chah/ title=”go to selected teachings by Ajahn Chah at BuddhismNow.com”]Selected teachings and PDFs[/drg_link]
Ajahn Jayasaro was born in England in 1958. He joined Ajahn Sumedho’s community for the Rains Retreat as an anagarika in 1978, and became a monk in 1980, studying under [drg_link link=#ajahn-chah inpage=up]Ajahn Chah[/drg_link]. He has written many books on Buddhist themes in Thai and English.
- About Ajahn Jayasaro at [drg_link link=https://jayasaro.panyaprateep.org/ title=”go to Ajahn Jayasaro’s website at Jayasaro.Panyaprateep.org”]Jayasaro.Panyaprateep.org[/drg_link] | at [drg_link link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Jayasaro title=”go to information about Ajahn Jayasaro at Wikpedia.org”]Wikipedia[/drg_link]
- Just Do It, reflections on meditation, and a discussion of chanda — desire that arises from wisdom and intelligence, by Ven. Ajahn Jayasaro
- “What we’re learning from meditation is the ability to stop and look and not be carried away by fleeting feelings of liking and disliking.”
- Article at [drg_link link=https://www.lionsroar.com/just-do-it/ title=”go to Without and Within download at LionsRoar.com”]LionsRoar.com[/drg_link]
- Without and Within: Questions and Answers on the Teachings of Theravāda Buddhism, by Ven. Ajahn Jayasaro
- A beautiful (in visual design) and beautiful (in words) complete FAQ for Buddhism.
- Free download from [drg_link link=http://www.bia.or.th/en/index.php/online-dhamma/without-and-within title=”go to Without and Within download at BIA.or.th”]Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives[/drg_link] (BIA) and from [drg_link link=https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/556-without-and-within title=”go to Without and Within download at Abhayagiri.org”]Abhayagiri[/drg_link]
- Also available: from our server as [drg_link link=https://media.kowthamcenter.org/books/ xclass=”dllink pdf” title=”download from the KTC server – PDF 28mb”]PDF[/drg_link] on usb drive after retreat
- More books by Ajahn Jayasaro can be downloaded as EPUB, MOBI, and PDF, and all are also available as hardcover printed books — free from [drg_link link=https://forestsangha.org/teachings/books/authors/ajahn-jayasaro?language=English title=”go to Ajahn Jayasaro’s books at ForestSangha.org”]ForestSangha.org[/drg_link] [drg_link link=https://jayasaro.panyaprateep.org/books title=”go to Ajahn Jayasaro’s books at Jayasaro.Panyaprateep.org”]Jayasaro.Panyaprateep.org[/drg_link]
Ajahn Sumedho is a prominent figure in the Thai Forest Tradition. A bhikkhu since 1967, Sumedho is considered a seminal figure in the transmission of the Buddha’s teachings to the West. His teachings are very direct, practical, simple, and down to earth. In his talks and sermons he stresses the quality of immediate intuitive awareness and the integration of this kind of awareness into daily life.
- About Ajahn Sumedho at [drg_link link=https://web.archive.org/web/20130425062614/http://www.amaravati.org/about_us/article/32 title=”go to Ajahn Sumedho bio at Archive.org”]Amaravati.org[/drg_link] (archived) | at [drg_link link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Sumedho title=”go to information about Ajahn Sumedho at Wikpedia.org”]Wikipedia[/drg_link]
- Ajahn Sumedho’s Dhamma Talks recordings of talks by Ajahn Sumedho, to listen and download.
- At [drg_link link=https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/10/ title=”go to talks at at DharmaSeed.org”]DharmaSeed.org[/drg_link]
[drg_link link=https://buddhismnow.com/?s=ajahn+sumedho title=”go to selected teachings by Ajahn Sumedho at BuddhismNow.com”]Ajahn Sumedho[/drg_link]
[drg_link link=https://buddhismnow.com/category/ajahn-sumedho/ title=”go to selected teachings by Ajahn Sumedho at BuddhismNow.com “]category “Ajahn Sumedho”[/drg_link]
- Selected teachings and PDFs
- [drg_link link=https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22ajahn+sumedho%22+site%3Awww.kowthamcenter.org&kn=1&k9=%23D51920&kac=-1&kt=h&kaf=1&k1=-1&k8=%23444444&ia=web title=”go to search for Ajahn Sumedho on this website, at DuckDuckGo”]Ajahn Sumedho[/drg_link] on this website.
Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu is an American Buddhist monk. Belonging to the Thai Forest Tradition, for 22 years he studied under the forest master Ajahn Fuang Jotiko (himself a student of Ajahn Lee). He is perhaps best known for his translations of the Dhammapada and the Sutta Pitaka. He has also authored several dhamma-related works of his own.
- About Thānissaro Bhikkhu at [drg_link link=https://www.dhammatalks.org/ title=”go to Thānissaro Bhikkhu’s website at Dhammatalks.org”]JDhammatalks.org[/drg_link] | at [drg_link link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanissaro_Bhikkhu title=”go to information about Thanissaro_Bhikkhu at Wikipedia.org”]Wikipedia[/drg_link]
- With Each and Every Breath: A Guide to Meditation, by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu
- A breath meditation manual drawing on two sources: the Buddha’s own set of instructions on how to use the breath in training the mind, and Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo’s method of breath meditation — which builds on the Buddha’s instructions, explaining in detail many of the points that the Buddha left in condensed form.
- Free download from [drg_link link=https://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html#eachandeverybreath title=”go to book download at DhammaTalks.org”]DhammaTalks.org[/drg_link]
- Also available: from our server as [drg_link link=https://media.kowthamcenter.org/books/ title=”download from the KTC server – PDF 866kb”]PDF[/drg_link] on usb drive after retreat
Other dhamma teachers
Teachers from all traditions who spread the dhamma in the same spirit as the Thai Forest Tradition. TBD …
See more about Khao Tham teachers on [drg_link link=/retreat/teachers/ title=”go to Khao Tham teachers page on this website”]Our Teachers[/drg_link] page