During retreat we take all eight precepts as taken by monks. In the rest of our life we try our best to adhere to the first five precepts.
Here is the wording of the Eight Precepts as we chant them at the retreat:
The Eight Precepts
- pānātipātā veramani sikkhāpadam samadiyami
I undertake the training rule to refrain from taking life.
- adinnadana veramani sikkhāpadam samadiyami
I undertake the training rule to to refrain from stealing.
kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhāpadam samadiyami
I undertake the training rule to refrain from sexual intercourse [misconduct].
- I undertake the training rule to to refrain from telling lies.
- I undertake the training rule to refrain from intoxicating liquors and drugs that lead to heedlessness.
- I undertake the training rule to to refrain from dancing, singing, music, watching shows, wearing garlands, beautifying myself with perfumes and cosmetics.
- I undertake the training rule to refrain from high and luxurious seats and beds.
imāni attha [panca] sikkhā-padāni samādiyāmi [SAY THREE TIMES]
I undertake these eight [five] precepts. [BOW THREE TIMES]
“If you can look after your bodily actions and speech, then they’re beautiful. At ease. Your manners, your comings and goings, your speech, are all beautiful.” — Ajahn Chah,[drg_link link=https://buddhismnow.com/2016/04/12/the-precepts-isnt-hard-by-ajahn-chah/ title=”go to Ajahn Chah teaching at BuddhismNow.com”]The Precepts Aren’t Hard[/drg_link]
The Pali original, meaning of some Pali words, alternate translation, and more, is on the Precepts [drg_link link=/retreat/practices/eight-precepts/ title=”go to Eight Precepts page”]practices page[/drg_link].
Extended version of chants, listen online, and download, at [drg_link link=https://deeperdhamma.podbean.com/e/chanting-the-dhamma-ajahn-vayama/ title=”go to Chanting page at DeeperDhamma.PodBean.com”]Chanting the Dhamma[/drg_link] by the Buddhist Sangha of Western Australian (BSWA).