We have had many wonderful teachers over the many years of Khao Tham Insight Meditation Center. We will try to eventually have all their information here.
Our current teachers
- Dr Marut Damchaom (Mae-ti-ko)
- After a long and successful career in academia, Phra Marut returned to Suan Mokkh and made an ordination to monkhood again. His monk name is Mae-ti-ko, meaning “The Sage”. Read more
Sometimes the Khao Tham abbot Phra Chaiwat and our manager Khun Tookata give teachings to us as well.
- Phra Chaiwat
- Phra Chaiwat is the abbot of the adjacent monastery Wat Khao Tham Read more
- Khun Tookata Sookkasem
- Tookata is the Khao Tham Center Manager, and sometimes leads morning/evening chanting and meditation instructions. Read more
Our past teachers
- Rosemary and Steve Weissmann
- At the request of Mae Chee Amohn, Rosemary and Steve began the Retreat program at Khao Tham in May 1988, and continued for 25 years until March 2013. They continue to teach based in Australia. Read more
- Anthony Markwell
- A monk for ten years and a deep scholar of Buddhism, he was the resident teacher at Khao Tham between 2013 and 2016. He then started a family in Finland, and led retreats in Europe and Thailand. He is now building a new retreat center near Srithanu, Koh Phangan. Read more about Anthony and the new Indriya Retreat Center
- Tan Dhammavidu
- English monk who for 20 years has given the Meditation and Dhamma instruction at Suan Mokkh, and more recently at Dipabhāvan. He also spent many years with Buddhadasa Bhikku, and has translated many of his teachings. Read more
More teachers in the Theravada tradition
- Read about:
- Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, the founder of Suan Mokkh;
- Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, and other teachers in the Thai Forest Tradition;
- And other great teachers
- on our Dhamma Teachers page.