Kow Tham (Mountain Cave Monastery) International Meditation Center was developed by Head Nun Mae Chee Ahmon and has been providing monthly meditation retreats by experienced meditation teachers since 1988.
The purpose of the Kow Tham Center is only to spread the dhamma. All teachers and staff are providing their support freely in the service of the dhamma, and there is no charge for the teachings and guidance.
All meals and accommodation are provided, and a donation is requested to cover those costs.
Why donate? Isn’t it free?
All teachings and guidance provided are free of cost.
However food, electricity, petrol, laundry, etc, cost money here just the same as anywhere else. Therefore we request a minimum donation of Bt 5,000 to cover our expenses for you during your retreat.
If you can donate more, it can go to cover a fellow retreatant who cannot afford to donate that much (as we never turn anyone away for lack of funds). Also it can be used for other Center expenses such as building repairs, truck maintenance, etc.
It is a part of Eastern cultures that teachers and monks provide their services without any thought of reimbursement, and that the community supports teachers, monasteries, and other social services. This is new to us in the West.
Even more, Eastern monks and other dharma followers cannot ask for money — for some, cannot even handle money — as part of their Precepts.
So when Eastern teaching meets Western students, confusion arises!
Please understand that this is an Eastern, Thai, teaching center. It has no source of income or magic money fountain.
Supporting the Center
Donations for retreat
Accommodation and meals are provided. Donations are requested and sorely needed for supplying your physical needs while on retreat: food, electricity, building maintenance, fans, petrol, etc.
Donations to support the ongoing Center
The Kow Tham Center needs
- Repairs to buildings, especially two dorm buildings and three kutis which have become unusable.
- Painting the dorms, toilets, and meditation hall.
- Resurfacing of the steep path to meditation hall, to prevent slipping during rain.
- Banisters on the steep path and stairs to the Foundation “Glass House”.
- Repairs to the old truck. Or even — a new truck!
How to help support Kow Tham Insight Meditation Center
Donate your money
- Send to bank
- Bank Name: Krungthai Bank, Thailand
- SWIFT Code: KRTHTHBK
- Beneficiary Name: Maninee Sookkasem
- Beneficiary A/C Number: 060-1-37735-4
- Donate at the Center
- There is a donation box at the community area of Kow Tham.
Donate your time
- Kow Tham Center can always use help, from sweeping the grounds, cooking, serving food, assisting, in many ways! More information is here.
For more information about helping support Kow Tham Insight Meditation Center and these retreats, please contact us.